This piece is a continuation of my blog titled ‘The first few steps’.
Quitting my job was not an easy decision. I spent months in confusion trying to make sense of things. But what is even more overwhelming is everything I have experienced since I started on this journey.
- Most of us don’t like taking risks, me included. It’s only when you get uncomfortable in your comfort zone that making a move you have been holding back on doesn’t seem all that risky.
- No matter what you do, you will always have your share of detractors. But your biggest adversary is always the person in the mirror.
- Conversely, your biggest support system is the people who believe in you more than you do in yourself. For me, my wife tops the list.
- I wish I would have been able to do photography with my job, but I don’t think I have the capacity to handle two things at a time.
- However, I have seen a marked improvement in my photography skills since I started doing it full time. I don’t think I would have become this good had I not burned the bridge of job security.
- In life, we meet several teachers. You are humbled when it’s a couple of high school kids, almost half your age (read more here).
- I am impatient. That’s one of my several shortcomings.
- When I am down, I watch motivational videos. By doing so, I have learned that the day you have to sell your dog for survival is the lowest point in your life. From that point onward, it’s an upward trajectory. But then, you must get your dog back, no matter what (for those who are wondering what I mean, research Sylvester Stallone’s life story).
- I also found so many of life’s mantras through these videos. One that particularly struck a chord was by Jim Carey, ‘It’s possible that you will fail at things you don’t like to do, so why not take the chance and do something you like?’.
- I waste a lot of time watching these videos. I should probably stop.
- Lastly, I have realized that this list is endless. Not just for me, but for everyone. Every day events and experiences will keep on adding and removing items from this list. Therefore, I will stop here and throw in a bunch of my images, since I am a photographer.
Nashville Photographers, Amanda and Mayur specialize in headshot photography, portrait photography and event photography. You can see more of their work on their website.